Online e-learning has been successfully improving learning results and reducing costs for companies for several years now. So, what’s the secret to this success? Despite the many factors involved, one vitally important factor often flies well under the radar: its flexibility.
Flexibility, flexibility and flexibility
Rarely has such a minor factor, with its multiple variables, had such a major influence on the world of training and development. The flexibility offered by online e-learning entails a series of advantages that permit cost savings and improved results. Some of them are:
– The learners are in charge. One of the best ways to guarantee learning is to motivate the learners. Given its incredible flexibility, online e-learning lets employees take training courses wherever and whenever they want. The learners are indeed in charge. And we all like to be in charge.
– Say goodbye to airplanes and hotels. Compared with traditional training, which for companies usually means trips and overnight hotel stays (with the corresponding enormous investment of time and money), online e-learning only needs an internet connection. This is particularly important in companies that are widely spread out geographically or professionals living in remote areas. Online e-learning renders everything much simpler, quicker and cheaper.
– Large scale consistency. Companies often seek to implement training consistently throughout their entire organization. Doing so not only reduces costs but also improves learning. Online e-learning enables training to reach hundreds and even thousands of persons worldwide at virtually the same time in one fell swoop.
– On a mobile device. What devices are always within our reach? The exceptional flexibility of online e-learning also permits training on our mobile devices, which simplifies and improves the convenience for learners.
– Learn at your own pace. In most online e-learning courses, learners take a break for a few minutes, reread the content various times or repeat the tests. This flexibility enhances learning because it adapts to the needs of each learner.
More efficiency for less money
Multiple studies have demonstrated that greater flexibility leads to better learning results. Learners develop a more positive mindset regarding training in general, improve their test results, are more motivated at work and retain knowledge for a longer period of time. Ultimately, the company gets better productivity from its staff.
Moreover, the reduction in costs could be enormous. Overall, online e-learning could take between 40% to 60% less time than classroom training. Companies save money on travel and board, but also in working time, materials and equipment for training. There is also a reduction in the economic or safety risks that would nevertheless be present in real-world training (e.g., in aviation or hospitals).